I’ll probably revisit this when the ground isn’t so muddy.
Haven’t had it in years. It’s one of my favorite things. Used a recipe Mom got in Indiana, but changed it a little based on what I had. The result was just what I remember. Don’t have any pictures, but I might take one tomorrow with some spaghetti and cheese.
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 qt. water
- 2 medium onions finely grated (I used one, two seemed excessive)
- 16 oz. tomato sauce (I used tomato paste and water.
- 5 whole allspice (I used ground and eyeballed it)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I used 1 tbsp. cocoa powder)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 whole cloves (I used ground)
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
In large saucepan, add ground beef to water, and stir until beef breaks up (I used a potato masher to achieve the fine texture). Boil lightly for 30 minutes. Then add all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 3 hours or until desired consistency is reached (I did it for less than half that) .